The Cuba Street Shopfront Takeover
Sat 20 Feb
Cuba Street, Te Aro, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
wheelchair accessible, casual
It’s alive! Crochet monsters, home-sick mermaids, punk bands, surreal dance, lush jungle-scapes and more. Wander through a world of wacky wearable art this Saturday 20th of February as the shopfronts of Cuba Street spring into action with fantastical, fashionable living mannequins. Some of the city’s most talented costume designers, set makers, performers and visual artists will be teaming up to fill the coolest little street in the capital with art and colour. Join us to experience this day of incredible one-off installations aimed to enthrall, entice, inspire and entertain.
* Decadent wearable art by HUNTER RAVER at Hunters & Collectors
* A unicorn on a distant moon by House of Hunters at Iko Iko
* A yarn-bomb explosion by Katie Voice and Hugo Grrrl at Made Marion
* A eulogy to iconic NZ artist Vivian Lynn by Lisa Maule and Sheila Horton at Ziggurat
* A hyper-femme queerscape by Audrey Baldwin at Madame Fancy Pants
* A magical mushroom wonderland by GRIDLEY at Cosmic
* A re-idolization of gender and drag by Angelina Koh at Emporium
* Extreme festival high fashion by HIGHAM at Chili Fashion n’ Gallery
* A living fossil by Georgia Lee and Emma Stevens at The Third Eye
* A brilliant bronze body paint installation by Spark & Flare at Indeja
* An artist paints her world red by O & P Works at Carly Harris
* A drag queen mermaid in a recycled ocean by Frocks by Frank and Hugo Grrrl at Paperbag Princess
Image model: Altra Violet. Costume: HUNTER RAVER & Anna Venture. Hair: Harlie Lux. Location: Madame Fancy Pants.
Brought to you by Hugo Grrrl’s Gigs.